Sixteen-Spice-Rubbed Chicken with Mango-Garlic Cream Sauce and Creamy Cilantro Mashed Potatoes
This dish is a fun adaptation from a dish served at Mesa Grill by Bobby Flay in Caesar's Palace in Las Vegas. Caesar's Palace is a Roman-themed hotel and if you've ever been to Vegas, you know themes are a big deal. Since not everyone can make their way to Vegas, this is a fun way to enjoy a normally $30+ meal right at home for less than half the restaurant's price.
I decided to pick this dish because I love Southwestern food and knew it was something I would not only love, but be able to easily prepare in my own kitchen.
Sixteen spices rubbed on a chicken breast does not leave room for simple flavor and the mango cream sauce on top??? Out of this world! I could easily pour it on everything I eat.
The mashed potatoes, blended with half-and-half, butter, garlic and some cilantro are delicious as well. They pair perfectly with the chicken and mango sauce.
This is definitely one of those meals that makes you feel like you should be sitting in a fancy restaurant while you eat. And it's so simple to make, too! What's not to love?
Adapted from Bobby Flay
1/2 Tbsp. chili powder
1/2 Tbsp. ground cumin
1/2 Tbsp. ginger
1/2 Tbsp. brown sugar
1 tsp. garlic powder
1 tsp. onion powder
1/2 tsp. ground allspice
1/2 tsp. cinnamon
1/2 tsp. kosher salt
1 tsp. black pepper
1/8 tsp. cayenne pepper
1/2 tsp. paprika
1/2 tsp. nutmeg
1/2 tsp. oregano
1/2 tsp. basil
1/2 tsp. coriander
4 boneless chicken breasts
1/4 cup canola oil
1. Heat your grill to high. Stir together all of the spices and set aside.
2. Brush both sides of each breast with the oil. Rub the top side of each breast with a few tablespoons of the rub, shaking any excess off.
3. Place on the grill, rub side down. Grill until golden brown and slightly charred, 3 to 4 minutes. Turn the breasts over and continue grilling until just cooked through, 4 to 5 minutes longer.
Mango-Garlic Cream Sauce
Adapted from Food.com
1 Tbsp. butter
1 tsp. garlic, minced
1 mango, peeled, cored and pureed (in blender or food processor)
1/2 Tbsp. fresh lemon juice
1/2 Tbsp. cream or half-and-half
1. In a small pan over medium heat, melt butter, add garlic and sauté until tender.
2. Add mango and lemon and simmer gently for 5 minutes.
3. Stir in cream and serve.
Cilantro Cream Mashed Potatoes
Adapted from Epicurious
2 large russet potatoes, peeled and quartered
1 1/2 tsp. garlic
1/2 cup warm half-and-half
2 Tbsp. butter, room temperature
1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
kosher salt and pepper
1. Cook potatoes in large pot of boiling salted water until very tender, about 35 minutes. Drain. Transfer potatoes to a large bowl.
2. Using a potato masher, mash potatoes until smooth. Stir in garlic. Gradually mix in half-and-half. Add butter and stir or mash until melted. Stir in cilantro. Season with salt and pepper.